This will be my first year to homeschool 2 kids and its a little frightening- can I admit that? I guess it’s better to get it out there now and then confront my fears and work through them with prayer and the Lords help.
We also are living with my mom and don’t actually have a homeschool room… hmmmm this should be interesting. I will be doing a simplified version of our provious years and will try to keep things in a M/W/F & T/TH block schedule and use the “clipboard” method. Here’s what I’m thinking:
- M/W/F- spelling, handwriting, T4L and Logic for B and handwriting, math, puzzles and T4L for Sullivan. (T4L is Time 4 Learning website)
- T/TH-reading, art (drawing) for both boys and T4L
- Fridays once a month will be nature study group & field trip
- First Wednesdays are Philbrook art class
For the planning this year I went through Alicia Hutchinson’s program on her site called Learning Well and printed out (and spiral bound!) her Lesson Planner, I’m so excited about this and will share a few of the pages for you to see (click here to buy)
We use an online curriculum called Time4Learning and my boys LOVE it. Personally I prefer a Charlotte Mason style with poetry, tea time and nature study… but alas we tried this and Brooks needed a more independent style and I needed the structure of a pre-planned curriculum and love how I can type in our “start date” & “finish date” and the website puts our lesson plans together. Then I add in literature, art, field trips, handwriting and spelling on our own. It’s the best of both worlds. Here are some new workbooks I’m ordering soon:
- Small Adventures Journal (here on amazon) $8
- 10 minutes a Day Spelling (here on amazon) $10
- Star Wars Kindergarten Math (here on amazon)$8
- Star Wars Kindergarten Phonics & ABC’s (here on amazon) $8
- Critical Thinking Mysteries (here on amazon) $9
- How to Draw (here on amazon) $3
- Usborne Complete Book of Nature (here on thrift books.com) $4
Now I need to get a total for our books and get the OK from my husband to make our purchases! I’m hoping my mom will have the dining room cleared out so we can do school in there every morning… our start date is August 24th!
Let me know if you have any questions-
P.S. I also use The Anchor for daily ideas for Kindergarten!